Thursday, March 25, 2010

Heritage

I come from a heritage that I did not originally know existed when I was young. What I mean to say by this is that, as a boy, I did not realize that I cam from a specific culture because I come from a town where most people had similar ethnicity, basic beliefs, and economic status. Some were obviously more well off economically than others as in the case in all communities in the world. I guess I just never saw the differences among us that would cause me to think that I came from a culture or heritage that was different than that of others.

Not until late in my High School years did I note that the things I believe in and where I come from (heritage, not location) was shaping me into someone very different from others around me. This is something drastically different from a lot of Hispanic students and indeed all minorities and even many white Americans. We all have different backgrounds that shape us and craft who we are today and who we will be in the future. These defining features are in correlation with out cultural backgrounds and having pride or disgust in that background will stick with a person throughout their entire life.

In order to move forward, you must first fully understand where it is that you come from in this world; this is a concept that I believe strongly in. Knowing your heritage can help you to see where your support lines lay. I know that a part of my heritage is faith -- not faith in a religious sense, but rather a faith in each other as a family. We know that family will support you in your endeavors and despite your transgressions, you are still connected and share a common love.

Family is a deeply rooted aspect of my culture. As I am very close to mine, so, too, are many Hispanic students as it is a defining attribute of Hispanic heritage. This connection is something that I could easily use to create bonds to my Hispanic students and find common ground.

No comments:

Post a Comment